Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Save Your Life

It was a long long time ago
When I told you that I loved you
And even now, even so
I'm afraid that it may still be true

And I know I tried to forget
Still I can remember when
It's been years since the day we met
And I've gotten old since then

And ever since then I drank deep
My mouth was filled with the taste of death
I always loved the illusion of sleep
And the longest drags were my breath

And to every girl who smiled at me
Thank you for helping me forget
Sometimes when I wish to be free
Thank you for adding to my regrets.

And to everyone who put me on the shelf
Yellow, brown, red, women all the same
They did nothing to me I didn't do to myself
So I don't have them to blame.

And god it's been a long long time
Since I saw you last, I wonder
How you're doing now between rhymes
And if you'll come and wander.

And how I hate those people who
Don't believe in love, those who don't live
Who denounce the lover's ways too
Who are so empty they have nothing to give

And all the broken hearted kids who
Dress in black and cry at night and write and write
The whiners, the fakers, and the cutters too
Will drink and smoke cigarettes until everything's right

And we'll find solace in the illusion of death
Even those who hurt deepest with the feeling I share
And it'll be so cold you can see your breath
And it'll be so white like the blankest stare

And those of us who hate life in our shame
Will love only love from the edge of a knife
Because the day love and life are the same
Is the day you find the girl who will save your life.

No comments: