Sunday, December 10, 2006

Hammer the Nails

Baby you and me under that purple
Orange blue red white sky
We lay in the grass and watched
Our lives pass us by
There were dogs and cats
And sailing pirate ships
There were friends and
Our former lovers
But baby it’s only current lovers
That matter at all to me

Nothing broke my heart more
Than the sound of you not breathing
There next to me, we missed out
On the glamour of Seventeenth Street
Where the pretty girls walk by
And you aren’t among them
I could have picked you out from the crowd
And I could have been “Dying all day
In thousands of little ways”
But I was tired of the charade

So it was the motion of our hands
Waving good bye to the past
That closed the lid on this box
Say we godspeed to your earthly remains
Yes, godspeed you across that sea
Or into that black afterlife after me
And I hesitated to write the final
Word of this book, because
There won’t be an epilogue.
Hammer the nails.

No comments: