Sunday, December 10, 2006

The Easy Way

I felt it was time to confess again, it’s scary
How it’s so easy to make these things up now
After a while sorrow’s second nature, the only thing real
It’s easier when you think, harder when you feel.

It’s funny how things always come around.
I always felt most comfortable kissing in the dark.
They say not to trust a girl who doesn’t close her eyes
But it’s all the same at night, cause neither do I.

See, there’s nothing I could do
To make you more modest
You’ve never been less than yourself.
And there’s nothing you could say
To make me less honest
I’ve always been true to myself.

And I always longed to feel it that way
That kind of truth you see in the love notes
The teachers took up and read aloud, the ones
That you laughed at but hurt for at the same time.

You know I wrote you so many of those.
But there’s only so much that rhymes with
“I love you” or “I know this much is true,”
You know, besides “I found someone new.”

See, there’s not much I can do
As detached and faraway as I am
You know what distance does to me.
But there’s not much else I can say
I still want to be in love with you
But we know what time does to me.

I always appreciated the simplicity
Of taking the easy way out, since you know
I’ve gotten so acquainted to it in my shame
You and her and her and her always did the same.

So I don’t know what to call what I’ve got now
I’ve always thought tragedy sounded better
But this could possibly be so good for me
It feels so strange to perhaps finally feel happy.

No comments: