Monday, November 19, 2007

Sunday Morning

Dawn broke late again today
No sleep for the young except the early grave
Empty bottles clustered in huddled masses of warm beer
All the kids tired and sick, weary of their fear
Started the night with five drinks and a fight
Swelled a man's eye shut, didn't matter who was right
Afterwards we swallowed away our pain
All those bitter capsules, we forgot their names

I remembered the morning we spent by the lake
That night we almost missed the last ferry we could take
The afternoon spent ankle deep in the sea
Watching those happy people getting married
Me and the kids drinking and singing the night away
If you think you love something, destroy it for a day
Oh, it was fire water and pills that kill
Hard drugs and hard memories, we've all had our fill

Expired prescriptions for sicknesses we don’t have
Muscle relaxants and amphetamines so it’s not all bad
Well we tried our best to commit suicide
We’d had enough of running, now it was time to hide
There’s a shelter in yourself where you don’t feel like dying
We had liquor for the pain and Xanax for living
I commiserated with the broken hearted
All those lost souls that never finished what they started

It was getting early when I drove out to the park
Stumbled onto the grass and fumbled in the dark
Hid my car from the cops in the cul-de-sac
Smoked all my cigarettes, calling for you to come back
Weak kneed, trouble breathing, eyes dim and red
Oh, I was still alive but still feeling dead
Got high on the swings, got low on the slide
I cried and I lied, I spent the night outside

I was strung out on speed and homegrown weed
When the sun came up I felt empty in need
So I staggered out to church and I fell to my knees
And I said, lord oh lord won't you believe in me please?
I'll return the favor
If only you’d save her
Another night spent surrounded and alone
Waiting for you to come home

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Vivid picture that goes way deep inside the heart!