Thursday, June 7, 2007

Rearranged (AFB)

I’d gone too long without dreaming of dying again
I lost my life like I lost my mind
Letting it all go, leaving everything behind
This place was meant for living and then moving out
I was sitting in the shadow of an air force base
Thinking of people it may as well have erased

I dreamed I met you again
But no hello like we were old friends
You were a stranger in every sense of the word
Like there was no one like you in the world
Well your body’s the same
And your face hasn’t changed
Maybe you have the same dreams
Deep in your brain

But your heart is new and wild to me,
Untamable and inaccessible
Mysterious and impenetrable
Well that’s when it started to pour
So it was hand in hand into the rain
Wanting to ask you your new name
Flagging taxicabs, running from something
We rode all night to escape our lives
War and peace, love and hate
Isn't it all the same?

We ran for days and days
But we didn't get anywhere
Mile after mile stretched behind us
But in the end nothing changed
Baby, it's been years and years
But nothing was even rearranged

Now it’s waking up to giving up everything
Just so we could find something
Please, just to put your hands on anything
It’s just living like there was no other way
Just knowing you’re dying every day
With every single breath you take
And well you’ve just got to fight and cry
And steal and lie for every scrap of meaning

And it’s thinking about how we spent our final moments
How your last night at home we laughed until dawn
In the face of that sorrow we pretended nothing was wrong
Yeah, covering up all that pain we can hide
Trying to make believe like nothing died
But maybe there’s still a chance we can still get out
Maybe it’s not too late for us to figure out
There’s still you and I and we’re still alive
And there’s still always the night when I
Kissed you so hard there were tears in your eyes

No comments: